|Radish & its greens|
Radishes are available in white, red, purple or black, long cylindrical or round in shape. They are eaten raw, cooked or pickled. Oil is extracted from the seeds of radish. Its leaves, flowers, pods and seeds are consumed. The scientific name of radish is Raphanus Sativus which belongs to the Brassicaceae family. Radish is also known as Daiken in some parts of the world.
It smells pungent and sweet in taste.Radishes are a low calorie vegetable that have no fat or cholesterol. With very little sodium and no protein, and the major nutrient contained in ½ cup of radishes is dietary fiber. It is against many illness as its health benefits describe below:
- Radish is very good for the liver and the stomach.
- Detoxifer: It purifies blood.
- Jaudince: It is miraculously useful in jaundice as it helps removing bilirubin and also checks its production. Its leaves are used in treatment of jaudince.
- This facilitates digestion, retains water, cures constipation and thus gives relief in piles.
- Radish is effective in fighting oral cancer, colon cancer and intestinal cancer as well as kidney and stomach cancers as it is rich in Vitamin C, folic acid and anthocyanins.
- Radishes contain Vitamin C, zinc, B-complex vitamins and phosphorus and so are very effective in treating skin disorders such as rashes and dry skin.
- Radish leaves are good source of calcium.